Skip to main content

Thing 3: Words over Time

It was my first day at a brand new school.  I was in the 8th grade, and my family had just moved from Kansas City, Missouri to Redlands, California.  I was a fish out of water.  And any kid who has ever had to move knows that the most dreaded part of the first day in a new school is lunch time.  It’s quite a predicament.  You have to choose between being bold and asking some random person if you can sit with them, risking total rejection…or sitting by yourself and in turn, looking like you clearly have no friends, risking your reputation for the rest of the school year…and possibly, beyond. 

On this particular first day, I had made it all the way to Social Studies, my 4th class, without making up my mind on which option was less painful.  A decision would have to be made soon, though, since lunch came right after Social Studies.  Little did I know at the time, words were being said, on my behalf, to make sure that pain was not what this poor, new girl would experience.

Sure enough, the bell rang.  Class ended.  With sweaty palms, I gathered my belongings, and began walking slowly toward the door.  As I silently talked through various scenarios in my head, I was interrupted by a group of girls.  They invited me to sit with them.  Obviously, I breathed a huge sigh of relief and accepted the invitation from these girls who eventually became my best friends.

His name was Mr. Beaumont, and he was my Social Studies teacher.  I later discovered that during class on that first day, he approached those girls, and encouraged them to ask me to sit with them.  He recognized my situation.  I’m sure my fear and nerves were written all over my face.  Regardless, he took 5 minutes to say probably 10-15 words that would drastically change the rest of my 8th grade year…and maybe even arguably, my life.

This is not a parenting story.  But the point is, words matter so much!  And the next chapter in Losing Your Marbles/Playing for Keeps is all about that.  The things we say can make such a difference in someone’s life…especially our kids.  Words stick around long after they are said…whether they are good or bad.  They hold so much power to influence another.  In my case, I was so thankful that someone decided to say a few words for my benefit, at that point in time.

If you are a parent, the words you say to your children over time could change their lives.  Through words, you have the ability to make them feel loved.  You have the ability to encourage them when they’ve found something they are good at.  You have the ability to inspire them to have courage and try something new.  You have the ability to teach them independence. You have the ability to show them that they are worth something. 

One of my favorite lines in this section of the book says this: “If you want a kid to know they matter, then it matters what words you use when you talk to them and about them.  The words you use can set them up to feel significant, valued, and unique.”  The story about my teacher is a perfect example of this.  To Mr. Beaumont, I mattered enough that he would go out of this way to ensure that I would not feel isolated and alone on that first day of school.  And I haven’t forgotten it to this day.

You see, kids need to know they are worth something.  And not just something—they need to know that they were worth enough that the God who made the entire universe chose to create them.  He took the time to form an individual human being with an entire string of skills, talents, and interests that are unique to them.  They need to know they are worth so much that the same God who made them also sent his one and only son to die for them.

Words over time are important for us, as parents, because if we neglect to say the words that our kids need to hear, than they will eventually search elsewhere for the answers.  They will search elsewhere for their source of self-worth…and this could affect their eternity.  As it so wisely states in “Marbles”…”Words over time can impact someone’s direction in life.”  Your children will most likely be impacted by many voices throughout their lives.  But you, as their parent, need to be the loudest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time Flies

Time flies.   Cliché, I know.   But it’s a phrase that perhaps we’re all guilty of tossing around without really considering the truth behind it.   Maybe this isn’t necessarily the case for kids.   You see, my husband and I have planned to take our 3-year old to see “Monsters University” this Saturday.   For Oliver, time is creeping by.   Saturday seems like an eternity away from today.   Today is Friday.   My, how perspective changes with age! The point is, whether we like it or not, time does, in fact pass…and usually, rather quickly.   If we’re not careful, it has a tendency to slip away from us until we have none left.   Humans, by nature, are typically procrastinators, right?   This is why I’m writing today.   My husband and I have recently been given an incredible reminder of this school of thought.   More than likely, you need a reminder too. This past April, we attended the Orange Conference in Atlanta, GA (check it out: Click Here ).   We’ve been several times, and it’s

First. One. Ever.

Happy 2013!  I am getting a head start on my list of New Year’s goals this year.  It makes me feel good to make lists, only because I experience pure thrill when I get to cross things off when I’ve actually done them.  So, here’s to crossing things off of lists! Goals for 2013: Finally start the blog that I’ve been considering for the past couple years Lose 7 more pounds Exercise (this makes it on my list every year) Read through the Harry Potter series…for the 2 nd time Grow even closer to God (this also is on my list every year)   Have a successful garden that actually produces edible crops Begin composting (sigh) That felt good!  Really though, I have been tossing around the idea of starting this blog for quite some time.  I’ve been reluctant because, frankly, I think blogging is weird.  I feel funny writing down my thoughts and putting them out there like people actually care what I have to say. But here’s what I have decided:  I love to write.

Lessons Learned through Cake...and other Things

So I hit a low point this last week.  And it’s something I’m not proud of.  But I’m willing to write about it, because I know that realistically, many (if not all) of you have been there before.  My Oliver turned 3.  Naturally, I had to plan the perfect birthday party.  Those who know me know this about me: I am a ridiculous perfectionist, which is sometimes good, but mostly bad.  In this case, it was bad.  Months ago, we decided “Toy Story” would be the theme, so I began doing my Pinterest research.  My mom and I chose a particular design for a cake that we would construct together.  I’m not talking simple sheet cake.  Nope, this thing was the Prom King of all cakes…3 fancy layers, buttercream and fondant icing, intricate detail including lettering, 8 different colors, and cut-out graphics.  Insane is, perhaps, another word for it. Well, of course, the night before the big shin-dig, Isaac, my teething 8-month old, decided to have a terrible, horrible night.  I