Skip to main content

First. One. Ever.


Happy 2013!  I am getting a head start on my list of New Year’s goals this year.  It makes me feel good to make lists, only because I experience pure thrill when I get to cross things off when I’ve actually done them.  So, here’s to crossing things off of lists!

Goals for 2013:
  1. Finally start the blog that I’ve been considering for the past couple years
  2. Lose 7 more pounds
  3. Exercise (this makes it on my list every year)
  4. Read through the Harry Potter series…for the 2nd time
  5. Grow even closer to God (this also is on my list every year)
  6.  Have a successful garden that actually produces edible crops
  7. Begin composting
(sigh) That felt good!  Really though, I have been tossing around the idea of starting this blog for quite some time.  I’ve been reluctant because, frankly, I think blogging is weird.  I feel funny writing down my thoughts and putting them out there like people actually care what I have to say.

But here’s what I have decided:  I love to write.  It is a tool I use to keep in touch with loved ones.  It is a method of communication I sometimes use when praying to God.  It is therapeutic, and has in fact, gotten me through some difficult times in my life.  So, whether anyone reads this or not, the fact of the matter is that I will enjoy writing this blog.  So there you have it.

Now, as for a purpose…because all blogs have a purpose, just in case people do actually read them, right?  Well, I am a parent.  And like most parents, I want the best for my kids.  But to me, the term, “best” doesn’t necessarily just mean they will grow up saying “Please” and “Thank you”, get decent grades in school, be above average on their soccer teams, get college degrees, and have successful careers some day.  Those are fabulous things.  However, I have come to discover that at the end of the day, all those things don’t matter.  In fact, only one thing will: do my children have a relationship with Jesus Christ, and are they living to diligently follow Him and reflect Him to those around them?  That’s it.

It seems like it should be simple.  I have a relationship with Christ, so why should it be hard to pass the importance of that onto my own kids?  Even more so, my husband is a full-time Children’s Pastor at a church, and he and I have been ministering to kids for over 7 years now.  It should come naturally to me.  However, for some reason, I make it way more complicated than it really needs to be.  We think that teaching our kids about our Heavenly Father means sitting down with them and having scheduled devotions every day.  Don’t get me wrong-I think that is a wonderful thing to do with your children.  But really, it’s much simpler than that.  We should involve God and the message of the Gospel in all that we do throughout each and every day, through normal conversation.

We have especially experienced this recently as we have gone through the Christmas season.  Our oldest is almost 3.  He is at an age where he understands probably much more than we even realize.  If he can understand the concept of two toys, a cowboy and a space ranger, that become great friends, and do everything in their power to remain loyal to their “kid”…then there’s no reason he can’t understand that over 2000 years ago, God sent his son to be born to Mary and Joseph in Bethlehem, and that this baby was the King of the entire world.  In fact, he has even told me and my husband about various parts of the Christmas story that he has learned either at church or through the “Parent Cue App” on our phones (more on that another time).  Granted, at one point, he informed us that Mary and Joseph took a trip to California.  But hey, what’s the difference between Bethlehem and California to a 3-year old?

Isn’t it true that we, as parents, often underestimate what our children, especially our young ones, understand?  That’s certainly true for me. But if my almost 3-year old can differentiate between “Santa Claus songs” and “King songs” (in other words, songs about the Jesus part of Christmas) at bed time, then there’s no reason that I shouldn’t be taking every advantage to be teaching him about that King all throughout the year, throughout every day.

So, my purpose.  I, possibly like you, am a parent who strives to do my best in parenting.  I had a college professor that I dearly loved, who used to say, “It’s in the striving, Jack!”  This means, we’re never going to be perfect.  But throughout life, we should strive to do better.  And my “better” means that I want to do all that I can to be purposeful in raising my children to know who God is, and who he can be in their lives.  I want them to know that they should love others unconditionally because of the mere fact that God loves us unconditionally.  I want to teach my kids these things every day, through normal, day-to-day conversation.  I want talking about these things to become natural and simple.

I plan to write about my striving.  I will include my successes and my failures…and inevitably, there will be both.  If this can help spur you on to do better with your children, as well, then wonderful!  But really, I am using this to keep myself accountable in my own striving.  I look forward to the journey ahead.

Comments

  1. Hi Ashley! Welcome to the blogosphere! Looking forward to reading your posts! Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons Learned through Cake...and other Things

So I hit a low point this last week.  And it’s something I’m not proud of.  But I’m willing to write about it, because I know that realistically, many (if not all) of you have been there before.  My Oliver turned 3.  Naturally, I had to plan the perfect birthday party.  Those who know me know this about me: I am a ridiculous perfectionist, which is sometimes good, but mostly bad.  In this case, it was bad.  Months ago, we decided “Toy Story” would be the theme, so I began doing my Pinterest research.  My mom and I chose a particular design for a cake that we would construct together.  I’m not talking simple sheet cake.  Nope, this thing was the Prom King of all cakes…3 fancy layers, buttercream and fondant icing, intricate detail including lettering, 8 different colors, and cut-out graphics.  Insane is, perhaps, another word for it. Well, of course, the night before the big shin-dig, Isaac, my teething 8-month old, decided to have a terrible, horrible night.  I

Time Flies

Time flies.   Cliché, I know.   But it’s a phrase that perhaps we’re all guilty of tossing around without really considering the truth behind it.   Maybe this isn’t necessarily the case for kids.   You see, my husband and I have planned to take our 3-year old to see “Monsters University” this Saturday.   For Oliver, time is creeping by.   Saturday seems like an eternity away from today.   Today is Friday.   My, how perspective changes with age! The point is, whether we like it or not, time does, in fact pass…and usually, rather quickly.   If we’re not careful, it has a tendency to slip away from us until we have none left.   Humans, by nature, are typically procrastinators, right?   This is why I’m writing today.   My husband and I have recently been given an incredible reminder of this school of thought.   More than likely, you need a reminder too. This past April, we attended the Orange Conference in Atlanta, GA (check it out: Click Here ).   We’ve been several times, and it’s