Skip to main content

Taking a break


Today’s post will have nothing to do with parenting.  Today, I am on a break from parenting.  Well, at least for the hour that both of my children might actually take naps.  And you know what?  ALL parents, no matter how perfect and angelic their children may be, need breaks from time to time.  If you disagree, you are either lying…or you’re just weird.

So, in lieu of my typical posts on parenting, today, I am choosing to write about a newly budding love of mine: gardening.  (I apologize for the pun…but my mother will be proud…she prides herself in saying punny things).  If you happened to read my very first blog ever, you may have noticed that on my list of “to-do’s” for this year was planting a garden…with the goal of actually producing something worthwhile.  Well, folks, we don’t have vegetables yet, but there is some hard core evidence of future produce out there in that dirt!  I am pumped, to say the least!

We are lucky enough to live next door to dear friends of ours.  So Neighbor Wife and I decided to collaborate on this effort, knowing that both of us, as mothers of 2, are strapped for time (and cash).  We have planned together, purchased seeds and equipment together, tilled together, planted together, flown by the seat of our pants together…and celebrated our victories together.

I am extremely proud to say that at the current moment, we have the following planted and ACTUALLY GROWING in our garden: potatoes, onions, broccoli, carrots, beans, peas, squash, okra, zucchini, tomatoes, and cucumber.  We have also planted 6 different herbs, but haven’t seen any growth yet.  And hopefully our bell pepper seedlings will do something, so we can plant those in the ground as well.  I burst with pride every time I witness a new step in the right direction. 

As for my purpose in writing about this today…Honestly, I’m just that excited about it, and so I simply felt the urge to express it.  But also, I wanted to encourage you to try something new!  Ever get in a rut?  Do you need a hobby?  It’s so easy, as a parent, to pour 100% of our time into our kids.  And don’t get me wrong: our kids are important.  In fact, they should definitely take priority over our hobbies.  But it’s okay to find enjoyment in something else too.  Like I said, all parents need a break sometimes. 

As for me, my “break” has already come to an end.  My oldest is surprisingly not napping (if you sensed sarcasm in that comment, you sensed correctly).  So, out to the garden I shall go…with my trusty 3-year old companion at my side. 

Comments

  1. I am jealous! I want a garden...hoping to do this by next year. I may have to come check yours out. :) Sounds like you have some great crops coming!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons Learned through Cake...and other Things

So I hit a low point this last week.  And it’s something I’m not proud of.  But I’m willing to write about it, because I know that realistically, many (if not all) of you have been there before.  My Oliver turned 3.  Naturally, I had to plan the perfect birthday party.  Those who know me know this about me: I am a ridiculous perfectionist, which is sometimes good, but mostly bad.  In this case, it was bad.  Months ago, we decided “Toy Story” would be the theme, so I began doing my Pinterest research.  My mom and I chose a particular design for a cake that we would construct together.  I’m not talking simple sheet cake.  Nope, this thing was the Prom King of all cakes…3 fancy layers, buttercream and fondant icing, intricate detail including lettering, 8 different colors, and cut-out graphics.  Insane is, perhaps, another word for it. Well, of course, the night before the big shin-dig, Isaac, my teething 8-month old, decided to have a terrible, horrible night.  I

Time Flies

Time flies.   Cliché, I know.   But it’s a phrase that perhaps we’re all guilty of tossing around without really considering the truth behind it.   Maybe this isn’t necessarily the case for kids.   You see, my husband and I have planned to take our 3-year old to see “Monsters University” this Saturday.   For Oliver, time is creeping by.   Saturday seems like an eternity away from today.   Today is Friday.   My, how perspective changes with age! The point is, whether we like it or not, time does, in fact pass…and usually, rather quickly.   If we’re not careful, it has a tendency to slip away from us until we have none left.   Humans, by nature, are typically procrastinators, right?   This is why I’m writing today.   My husband and I have recently been given an incredible reminder of this school of thought.   More than likely, you need a reminder too. This past April, we attended the Orange Conference in Atlanta, GA (check it out: Click Here ).   We’ve been several times, and it’s

First. One. Ever.

Happy 2013!  I am getting a head start on my list of New Year’s goals this year.  It makes me feel good to make lists, only because I experience pure thrill when I get to cross things off when I’ve actually done them.  So, here’s to crossing things off of lists! Goals for 2013: Finally start the blog that I’ve been considering for the past couple years Lose 7 more pounds Exercise (this makes it on my list every year) Read through the Harry Potter series…for the 2 nd time Grow even closer to God (this also is on my list every year)   Have a successful garden that actually produces edible crops Begin composting (sigh) That felt good!  Really though, I have been tossing around the idea of starting this blog for quite some time.  I’ve been reluctant because, frankly, I think blogging is weird.  I feel funny writing down my thoughts and putting them out there like people actually care what I have to say. But here’s what I have decided:  I love to write.