Skip to main content

We all mess up.


Last Friday night was the best night I’ve had with my husband in a very long time!  We have been long overdue for a date night, and my upcoming 30th birthday gave us even more of a reason to reserve an entire night for just the two of us.  So, thanks to my sweet in-laws, we were childless for roughly 19 hours. 

Going to the movies was fun.  It had been a long time since we had been to the theater, and I had been dying to see “Lincoln” since it first came out in November.  Dinner was fabulous.  Sushi is our fave.  Mmm…still thinking about how good it tasted.  But really, the best part of the night was when we got home.  We sat on the couch…turned on some background music (Mumford and Sons Pandora station—always a good choice)…and we talked…and talked…and talked…for a couple hours!  It was wonderful and much needed.

So why am I telling you all this?  Well, our conversation that night, at one point, parked on the subject of parenting.  I am going to be terribly truthful with you.  Sometimes, I am so ridiculously judgmental.  I’m not proud of this.  In fact, I am ashamed, but I am real…so here we go.  I got off on a tangent about certain parents we know, and some of the things they do (or don’t do) that I would never dream of doing (or not doing) with our own children.  How can “So-And-So” think it’s okay to listen to that kind of music when her 3-year old is in the car?  Or “So-And-So” certainly can’t expect their kids to see the importance of going to church if they aren’t willing to make it a priority themselves!

Thankfully, I have a husband who knows exactly how to gently bring me back to the place where I need to be.  He reminded me that we have plenty of shortcomings, ourselves, as parents, and that we have no right to judge others.  He reminded me that we ALL struggle with something, if not several things.  And when it comes to parenting, let’s just be honest—it’s extremely tough to be consistent 100% of the time.

His humble point brought me back to something we talked about that week in my Bible study.  We’re going through Genesis, and for the past couple weeks, we’ve been studying the life of Isaac.  Some of you may be familiar with him.  But if you’re not, he is a man who not only trusted God, but truly sought Him.  Over and over again, scripture tells us of times where Isaac did exactly what God told him to do.  He was humble.  He was righteous. (Genesis, chapters 21-28—check it out…it’s good stuff!)

However, like every other human being that has walked the face of this earth (other than Jesus, of course), he messed up.  He didn’t just mess up…he committed some horrible acts towards members of his own family; even his children.  He did things that you or I would never dream of doing.  For example, he favored Esau, the older of his twin sons, to the point where he attempted to scheme against his other son, Jacob.  He tried to rob Jacob of the blessing that God had already promised him. 

How can someone who was known for being such a follower of God do something like that?  The answer: he was human.  And just like you and me, he had strengths…but he also had weaknesses.  This story was an incredible reminder to me that when I am quick to judge other parents for the areas where I think they are failing miserably, I should stop.  Instead, I should see them as just another parent, who like me, wants desperately to raise their children to know Jesus and follow Him throughout their lives.

I’m also thankful for the story of Isaac because it assures me that even when I mess up, God can still use me.  As someone put it at our Bible study that week, “God remains faithful to His promises, regardless of our shortcomings.”  And He does.  The men and women we read about throughout the Bible are constant reminders of that.  God continually used flawed people to do amazing things…and He still does.  And nothing is more amazing than having the opportunity to raise up a child, teaching him/her about the incredible God who created us and loves us unconditionally.

So let this encourage you.  We all know our weaknesses.  We all get discouraged sometimes, thinking we are doing a terrible job.  But know that regardless of your failures, God can still use you.  After all, it’s “in the striving,” right?  You will never be perfect.  But God does command us to teach our children about Him, and He gives us practical ways to do that in every day moments together.  So, here is a guideline God gives us when it comes to raising our families…strive to follow this:

“Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.”  -Deuteronomy 6: 4-9

And when you do mess up (because you will), dust yourself off, and keep going!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons Learned through Cake...and other Things

So I hit a low point this last week.  And it’s something I’m not proud of.  But I’m willing to write about it, because I know that realistically, many (if not all) of you have been there before.  My Oliver turned 3.  Naturally, I had to plan the perfect birthday party.  Those who know me know this about me: I am a ridiculous perfectionist, which is sometimes good, but mostly bad.  In this case, it was bad.  Months ago, we decided “Toy Story” would be the theme, so I began doing my Pinterest research.  My mom and I chose a particular design for a cake that we would construct together.  I’m not talking simple sheet cake.  Nope, this thing was the Prom King of all cakes…3 fancy layers, buttercream and fondant icing, intricate detail including lettering, 8 different colors, and cut-out graphics.  Insane is, perhaps, another word for it. Well, of course, the night before the big shin-dig, Isaac, my teething 8-month old, decided to have a terrible, horrible night.  I

Time Flies

Time flies.   Cliché, I know.   But it’s a phrase that perhaps we’re all guilty of tossing around without really considering the truth behind it.   Maybe this isn’t necessarily the case for kids.   You see, my husband and I have planned to take our 3-year old to see “Monsters University” this Saturday.   For Oliver, time is creeping by.   Saturday seems like an eternity away from today.   Today is Friday.   My, how perspective changes with age! The point is, whether we like it or not, time does, in fact pass…and usually, rather quickly.   If we’re not careful, it has a tendency to slip away from us until we have none left.   Humans, by nature, are typically procrastinators, right?   This is why I’m writing today.   My husband and I have recently been given an incredible reminder of this school of thought.   More than likely, you need a reminder too. This past April, we attended the Orange Conference in Atlanta, GA (check it out: Click Here ).   We’ve been several times, and it’s

First. One. Ever.

Happy 2013!  I am getting a head start on my list of New Year’s goals this year.  It makes me feel good to make lists, only because I experience pure thrill when I get to cross things off when I’ve actually done them.  So, here’s to crossing things off of lists! Goals for 2013: Finally start the blog that I’ve been considering for the past couple years Lose 7 more pounds Exercise (this makes it on my list every year) Read through the Harry Potter series…for the 2 nd time Grow even closer to God (this also is on my list every year)   Have a successful garden that actually produces edible crops Begin composting (sigh) That felt good!  Really though, I have been tossing around the idea of starting this blog for quite some time.  I’ve been reluctant because, frankly, I think blogging is weird.  I feel funny writing down my thoughts and putting them out there like people actually care what I have to say. But here’s what I have decided:  I love to write.