Skip to main content

Conversation matters


I love conversations with Oliver.  And the other day, I had some that were the jot-it-down-so-I-don’t-forget-it kind.  Ever have those? They’re the best…especially when they involve some sort of proof that what I’m teaching my child is, in fact, sinking in.

I attend a weekly women’s Bible study on Thursday mornings.  There is childcare for my kids.  But it’s more than just childcare.  They actually teach your children the same lesson that the adults learn each week.  They teach songs, and all sorts of other cool stuff.  Last week, we were on our way home from Bible study.  I decided to start asking Oliver what he had learned about in his class.  He gave the typical answer, “God.”  I’m sure he did learn about God, but I was hoping for a little more.

After some unsuccessful probing, I settled on the fact that he wasn’t going to tell me all about Abram and God’s promise that he would give him a son.  I decided to change the subject.  We put on some music.  And as always, Oliver asked me to sing.  I had lost my voice a couple days earlier, and so it was still quite raspy.   So I said, “I can’t sing very well right now, my voice isn’t back yet.”  His response (the same response he has to almost everything now days): “Why?”  So I proceeded to tell him that I had lost my voice, but that I should pray to God, asking Him to give me my voice back.  And we did.  We prayed there in the car together for God to give me my voice back.

After praying, I talked to Oliver about how God helps us.  I reminded him that when he was sick a couple weeks ago, we asked God to help him feel better, and he answered that prayer.  Then, I asked him how else God has helped him.  His answer: “He helped me with that big gun.”  Hmm…not quite the answer I was looking for.  “How did God help with you your gun?” I asked.  “He helped me pull that thing back and shoot it.”  (sigh)   Ok, so we aren’t really gun people.  But he got one of those big Nerf guns for Christmas, and it's one of his favorite toys these days.  So, if he wants to give God the credit for giving him the ability to cock his gun, why not?

The next morning, Oliver was sitting at the table as I was getting his breakfast ready.  We were chatting, when all of a sudden he exclaimed, “Mom, God gave you your voice back!”  It was true!  My voice had come back. And the best part about this: Oliver recognized that it was God’s doing.

I want for my kids to go through life fully aware of God’s incredible power.  I want them to know that He has the ability to do anything.  I want them to be aware of even the simple things that God has given us to remind us that He is here.  But they won’t know about these things if I don’t make a conscious effort to talk about them.  I can’t expect them to know that they can ask God for help if I don’t show them how to do that.

It seems like a simple thing.  But as a parent, how often do you talk to your kids about a problem you have, pray with them about that problem, and then point out when God fixes the problem?  Probably not often enough.  I sure don’t.  The lost voice scenario was a reminder to me that my kids are paying attention.  I don’t want to waste that.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons Learned through Cake...and other Things

So I hit a low point this last week.  And it’s something I’m not proud of.  But I’m willing to write about it, because I know that realistically, many (if not all) of you have been there before.  My Oliver turned 3.  Naturally, I had to plan the perfect birthday party.  Those who know me know this about me: I am a ridiculous perfectionist, which is sometimes good, but mostly bad.  In this case, it was bad.  Months ago, we decided “Toy Story” would be the theme, so I began doing my Pinterest research.  My mom and I chose a particular design for a cake that we would construct together.  I’m not talking simple sheet cake.  Nope, this thing was the Prom King of all cakes…3 fancy layers, buttercream and fondant icing, intricate detail including lettering, 8 different colors, and cut-out graphics.  Insane is, perhaps, another word for it. Well, of course, the night before the big shin-dig, Isaac, my teething 8-month old, decided to have a terrible, horrible night.  I

Time Flies

Time flies.   Cliché, I know.   But it’s a phrase that perhaps we’re all guilty of tossing around without really considering the truth behind it.   Maybe this isn’t necessarily the case for kids.   You see, my husband and I have planned to take our 3-year old to see “Monsters University” this Saturday.   For Oliver, time is creeping by.   Saturday seems like an eternity away from today.   Today is Friday.   My, how perspective changes with age! The point is, whether we like it or not, time does, in fact pass…and usually, rather quickly.   If we’re not careful, it has a tendency to slip away from us until we have none left.   Humans, by nature, are typically procrastinators, right?   This is why I’m writing today.   My husband and I have recently been given an incredible reminder of this school of thought.   More than likely, you need a reminder too. This past April, we attended the Orange Conference in Atlanta, GA (check it out: Click Here ).   We’ve been several times, and it’s

First. One. Ever.

Happy 2013!  I am getting a head start on my list of New Year’s goals this year.  It makes me feel good to make lists, only because I experience pure thrill when I get to cross things off when I’ve actually done them.  So, here’s to crossing things off of lists! Goals for 2013: Finally start the blog that I’ve been considering for the past couple years Lose 7 more pounds Exercise (this makes it on my list every year) Read through the Harry Potter series…for the 2 nd time Grow even closer to God (this also is on my list every year)   Have a successful garden that actually produces edible crops Begin composting (sigh) That felt good!  Really though, I have been tossing around the idea of starting this blog for quite some time.  I’ve been reluctant because, frankly, I think blogging is weird.  I feel funny writing down my thoughts and putting them out there like people actually care what I have to say. But here’s what I have decided:  I love to write.